Re: pain of postgres upgrade with extensions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: pain of postgres upgrade with extensions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 07:34:03PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > - dump version N database
> > - create empty version N+1 database
> > - install N+1's version of each needed contrib module into new database
> > - restore dump, ignoring "object already exists" errors
> >
> > There is a TODO to figure out some cleaner way of handling this sort
> > of thing ...
>
> I think I smell a GSOC project....

The most promising way I remember was to create "packages" which wrap a
collection of types/tables/functions. The normal pg_depend structure
would track this and make sure that things didn't get deleted. On the
other side it would provide a way for pg_dump it identify the
components and not dump them.

The SQL standard has something called "modules" but I don't remember if
it was at all compatable.

Have a nice day,

Attachment