Re: Permanent settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aidan Van Dyk
Subject Re: Permanent settings
Date
Re: Permanent settings  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> [080220 13:43]:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:27:25 -0500
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > For the point-and-drool crowd that can't cope with editing a text
>
> *ahem*
>
> I am far form a point and drool person and I am telling you:
>
> SET PERMANENTLY work_mem TO 65MB ;
>
> Is a heck of a lot more sane than editing a text file.

I think the first step is really for some people to show code that
"rewrites" the config file changing a setting reliably and correctly.

Once we have people comfortable with it rewriting the file, the
bikeshedding can start as to how to "use" it through the SQL interface.

But, until there's code out there...
<bikeshedding>But as Tom said, that's *really* changing what SET has tradionallybeen.
Why is a function something like this not sufficient:    pg_save_setting('work_mem', '65MB', 'comment so I remeber')or,
  pg_save_setting('work_mem', '65MB')or even    pg_save_setting('work_mem')

Since it's a function:1) It's "implementable" by anybody, in any fashion2) It's implemtation is easily replacable by
anyone,in any fashion3) It's easily backportable to adminpack/8.3/8.2/8.1 for those who wantit

</bikeshedding>

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,