Re: PG quitting sporadically!! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PG quitting sporadically!!
Date
List pgsql-general
Phoenix Kiula escribió:
> Thanks. Comments below. (PS: I am still unable to connect to
> postgresql even in SSH! I see this message:
>
>        psql: could not connect to server: Connection timed out
>         Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
>         TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>
> Yes of course the localhost is running the pgsql server and that port
> is allowed!

My educated guess is that your network is behaving funny, or your
firewall is crazy.  Or your kernel has bugs.  The fact that the
connections work sometimes is one clue; this is the other:

> LOG:  test message did not get through on socket for statistics collector
> LOG:  disabling statistics collector for lack of working socket

This is a bad sign.  For one thing, it means autovacuum, if enabled, is
not really working at all (which can, in turn, explain slowness).