Re: Pains in upgrading to 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Caduto
Subject Re: Pains in upgrading to 8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> For the case of upgrading, it wouldn't work. But there are certainly
> other cases where it would help. Say from your central pgadmin console
> administering 10 servers from 3 different major release trees :-(
>
> It can be done with commandline pg_dump, but it means you have to have
> three different installs on your management or backup or whatever
> machine. Those cases would certainly be easier if you could just call
> a backup API on the server that would feed you the data... (yes, there
> are ways to do it with ssh tunneling and whatever, but that's yet
> another external service that has to be set up and configured)
>
> I'm not saying it's worth the work and potential downsides, just that
> there are clear upsides :-)

Exactly, I didn't necessarily mean the blogger had a point about
upgrades in general, just that pg_dump had room for improvement.

Hey maybe a backup API is something for the Google Summer of Code thing,
it would be really nice to have, and make general backups much easier
from a admin point of view.

Later,

Tony