Re: Universal libpq.a ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: Universal libpq.a ?
Date
Re: Universal libpq.a ?
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Dave Page wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2008 1:24 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>>     # Fixup the makefiles
>>>     echo "Post-processing Makefiles for Universal Binary build"
>>>     find . -name Makefile -print -exec perl -p -i.backup -e 's/\Q$(LD)
>>> $(LDREL) $(LDOUT)\E (\S+) (.+)/\$(LD) -arch ppc \$(LDREL) \$(LDOUT)
>>> $1.ppc $2; \$(LD) -arch i386 \$(LDREL) \$(LDOUT) $1.i386 $2; lipo
>>> -create -output $1 $1.ppc $1.i386/' {} \; || _die "Failed to
>>> post-process the Postgres Makefiles for Universal build"
>>
>> I thought I'd read that you could solve this problem by using the gcc
>> frontend to invoke loading, ie something involving making $(LD) call gcc
>> with some options.  I'd be willing to tweak the LDxxx macros a bit if
>> needed to enable a solution like that, but changing the Makefiles at
>> build time is clearly right out ...
>
> My make-fu is not strong enough for that - which is why thats the bit
> I nicked from the entropy.ch scripts!
>
> Another option which may be doable for someone with more knowledge of
> make would be to build binaries for all architectures seperately (you
> can build i386, ppc, x86_64 and ppc64), and then use lipo to glue them
> together.
I did essentially that, outside of make, for ppc/i386 doing 2 separate builds
and then using lipo to join each file in bin and lib.

LER

> /D

>       match

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893