Re: could not open relation: Invalid argument - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: could not open relation: Invalid argument
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Roberts, Jon wrote:
> Version: PostgreSQL 8.2.5 on i686-pc-mingw32
>
> I recently started getting this error message randomly, "could not open
> relation 42904/42906/42985: Invalid argument".  I also got it for a couple
> of other files.  All three files are related to tables that have just a
> single row each.

This has been reported before, and we've patched the system so that the
error reported is better.  In HEAD we also patched it so that the system
would automatically retry a number of times if the problem is
ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION (or something like that).  That patch was not
backported to 8.2 due to lack of testing -- the original reported did
not come back to try the patched version.

If you want to try, the patch is here:
https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pgsql/changeset/29853

Let us know how it goes.  If your problem is easily reproducible and the
patch makes it go away, we would consider back-patching the fix.

Thanks.