Re: BUG #3853: Autovacuum not working - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: BUG #3853: Autovacuum not working
Date
List pgsql-bugs

> Bug reference:      3853
> Logged by:          Christopher Brian L. Jurado
> Email address:      chris.jurado@primesoft.ph
> PostgreSQL version: 8.1.2
> Operating system:   Windows XP/2003
> Details:
>
> I can see in the server logs that it has entries saying "autovacuum:
> processing database xxx". But it seems that pgAdmin still gives
> hints/suggestions that the tables need vacuuming. I don't know if this is a
> pgAdmin bug or not. But in my experience, pgAdmin seemed right and table
> statistics were not updated and query performance degrades as
> inserts/updates/deletes are done--because of outdated table statistics.
> Is this a bug? And if it is, was this fixed in 8.2? I can't find this in the
> release notes.

The autovacuum daemon has a lot of settings, it's possible that you simply
don't have it configured aggressively enough.

Please review the documentation and consider the fact that the default
settings are very conservative:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime-config-autovacuum.html

Additionally, you're missing 8 bug fixes in your version, I highly
recommend updating to 8.1.10 immediately.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com