Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: GIN index build's allocatedMemory counter needs to be long, not - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: GIN index build's allocatedMemory counter needs to be long, not
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeremy Drake wrote:
> I don't know if this has been discussed before, but you are aware that it
> is not dictated by the C standard that sizeof(long) == sizeof(void*)?

As evidenced by this piece of code in postgres.h:

typedef unsigned long Datum;    /* XXX sizeof(long) >= sizeof(void *) */

> The best counter-example I know is Windows x64, where sizeof(long) == 4
> while sizeof(void*) == 8.

Yes, and there is lots of work left to do to support that.

--
Peter Eisentraut