Re: Segmentation fault using digest from pg_crypto - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Segmentation fault using digest from pg_crypto
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marko Kreen wrote:
> On 11/10/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > OK, first question.  How would someone have the 8.0 signatures in 8.2?
> > Don't they reinstall pgcrypto for every major release?
>
> Why reinstall if the functions come from dump?
>
> At least in skype we stumbled on the problem.  But if the reinstall
> is widespread practice, then indeed it may not be worth bothering.

I assumed that the /contrib modules changed enough that people would
always reinstall them for a major release.  However, I don't know how to
excluded them from dumps.  If you don't have the pgcrypto library
installed I think the CREATE FUNCTIONs fail because there is no library.

The strange thing is we have never gotten too many complaints about
upgrading the /contrib stuff, which is kind of odd.  We have talked
about putting each /contrib in its own schema so it could be easily
excluded but that never happened.  Putting all the contribs in one
schema might be a good middle ground.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com