Re: Small Release Notes Comment - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Small Release Notes Comment
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:

> I think the change to the hash functions needs to be called out in the release
> notes.
>
> If anyone stored any results of hashintN, hashfloat8, etc in their database or
> outside the database those results will have changed. It's fairly unlikely but
> there could be someone out there doing that.
>
> No intervention is required for normal expression indexes using those
> functions or hash indexes which will be rebuilt during a database upgrade
> anyways. I don't think hash_any itself changed so this wouldn't affect
> hashtext or any hash function which was already using hash_any.

Agreed.  Added to the Migration section of the 8.3 release notes:
    <para>     If application code was calling and storing hash values using     internal <productname>PostgreSQL</>
hashingfunctions, the hash     values must be regenerated.    </para>   </listitem>

I assume people will realize this does _not_ affect md5(), or should I
add a mention of that too.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com