Re: convert binary string to datum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Peterson
Subject Re: convert binary string to datum
Date
List pgsql-general
2007-10-13_11:12:05-0400 Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>:
> "Ron Peterson" <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com> writes:

> >> Actually, I already have my data in a structure much like varlena.
> >
> > Pght, I misunderstood what you were saying.  You mean create a
> > full-blown new type.  I was thinking completely internally.  Yeah,
> > that's probably a better approach - I'll do that.
>
> Or you could just define new functions which operate on bytea if you're just
> storing binary data.

A tuple of two or three bytea values (cryptographic keys); e.g. (bytea,
bytea)

> I don't understand what you mean with "internally" if you're storing
> this in tuples?

I thought you were talking about something like a C structure - I think
I just misunderstood what you were saying.  I'm still a little mixed up
about just exactly what, internally, a tuple and a tupledesc are and how
they are used.  I think I can get where I want to go without completely
figuring that out right now though...

--
Ron Peterson
https://www.yellowbank.com/