Re: ecpg thread-safe descriptor - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: ecpg thread-safe descriptor
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 10:39:40AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I am very nearly ready to demand that ecpg as a whole be reverted to its
> state as of Saturday, with all the patches since then held for 8.4
> development.  At no point since Sunday morning has ecpg been passing

If we say ecpg is not multithreaded I agree that these patches are
features, but if we see it as multithreaded the patches are bug fixes.

> buildfarm testing, and I see no activity indicating that it's about to

Magnus, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to me that the MSVC
build problem has existed for weeks or months but no one noticed so far,
right? It doesn't help to revert the patches if we still do not compile
cleanly on MSVC. Or is it only the DLLMAIN thing that's holding us up?
If so couldn't we just remove this function and call MSVC build not
multithreaded?

Also Takahiro (hope this is your first name :-)), could you please
explain to us why DllMain is needed at all? it isn't needed on
non-Windows systems it seems.

As far as fixing things you're right. We need to fix this asap.

> get fixed.  You guys are holding up beta release with work that by any
> legitimate definition is new-feature development, and shouldn't be under
> consideration at all at this point.

As I said, I considered this work bug fixes or else I wouldn't have
committed the patches at this time.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes