Re: Using Postgres as an alias - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wednesday 26 September 2007 18:48, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > Currently Postgres is well know synonym for PostgreSQL and
> > there isn't necessary push it into documentation. Please stop it.
>
> Postgres may be reasonably well known synonym for readers
> on these mailinglists.
>
> But to the rest of the world - including those people who just
> read the postgreSQL web site and documentation, I think
> postgre is a far more frequently assumed synonym.

See upthread information on google search terms. While not perfect, it shows
that postgre is the third most often used term, behind postgresql(1) and
postgres(2).  So no, postgre is not far more frequently assumed, but it is
used commonly..

> This documentation proposal of Bruce's is the first time
> I see anything visible that might give people hints that
> Postgres is preferred over Postgre.

Agreed, and afaik this was never agreed upon.

--
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} Postgre