Re: Using Postgres as an alias - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wednesday 26 September 2007 17:30, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> FYI, I live near Philadelphia, but everyone here calls it "Philly", and
> there are even companies that use the name like "Philly Pretzel
> Company", http://www.phillysoftpretzelfactory.com/pretzelstory.html.  I
> don't call it "Philly" when I am out of the country because few people
> recognize it outside the USA.  Anyway, to me it shows an alias can get
> general usage without renaming the city, but I do think we should
> promote the alias in a focused way.

So, I took a look at the philadelphia government website, just to see how much
the philadelphia "promotes" the use of the term philly, like you want to do
with Postgres. Doing a quick search, I get the following results:
Documents 1 to 5 of 14079 matching the query "philadelphia"
Documents 1 to 5 of 772 matching the query "philly"
If my math is right (and surely you can double check that for me) that's about
1% of the use of the term philly vs philadelphia.  That doesn't seem like
strong promotion.

--
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} Postgre