Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> [ shrug... ]  This just reinforces my point: if every packager is going
> >> to have his own opinion about how to do it, there's little point in
> >> trying to provide a pre-fab solution.
>
> > Well, there's a point if every packager have his own opinion but the
> > opinions all happen to be equal.
>
> I think we've already found out that the opinions *aren't* equal.
> So far the score seems to be:
>     Red Hat: will use relative symlink
>     Solaris: will use hardwired path in program
>     ???: will use absolute symlink
> Peter's patch supports only the third case, which no packager has yet
> committed to use (though I suppose Debian might like to).  It just gets
> in the way for the other two cases.

Sorry, my point is that it is likely that we would be able to use a
hardwired path, because the path is the same in many systems.

Maybe we could turn the configure option into enabling a lookup into
/usr/share/zoneinfo (hardwired).  So if the files are there it uses
them.  No need to set a symlink of any kind.

It would be even better to use --with-system-tzdata=/usr/share/zoneinfo
which enables lookup in the specified dir, hardwired at compile time in
the executable (I'm not aware if the patch already accepts a path
argument -- seems like the only sane choice).  No symlink needed.