Re: memory optimization - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Decibel!
Subject Re: memory optimization
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 10:21:31AM +0300, Sabin Coanda wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a procedure which uses temporary objects (table and sequence). I
> tried to optimize it, using common variables (array and long varchar)
> instead. I didn't found any difference in performance, but I'd like to
> choose the best option from other points of view. One of them is the memory.
>
> So, what is better from the postgres memory point of view: to use temporary
> objects, or to use common variables ?

A temp table might take *slightly* more room than variables...

> Can you suggest me other point of views to be taken into consideration in my
> case ?

Code maintenance. I can't think of anyway to replace a temp table with
variables that isn't a complete nightmare.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Attachment