Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?
Date
Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?  (Kenneth Marshall <ktm@rice.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> A lot of work has been done to try to get /contrib/tsearch2 into the
> core backend for 8.3, but we have hit a roadblock in how to handle
> multiple text search configurations.  (FYI, the documentation is at
> http://momjian.us/expire/textsearch/HTML/textsearch.html.)
>
> There are three options for controlling text search configurations:
>
>     1) have a GUC variable which specifies the default configuration
>     2) require the configuration to be always specified
>     3) use the type system to automatically use the right configuration
>
> The problem with #1 is that is it error-prone (easy to mismatch
> configurations).  One idea was to have the GUC be super-user-only but
> then restoring a dump as non-super-user is a problem.

What is the worst consequence of mismatching configuration?  Does it
cause a system crash?  A backend hang?  A corrupted index?  Lost data?
Or does it, as I assume, just fail to return the exact result set that
would be returned if the correct configuration was supplied?

If the answer is the latter, I think this is not so huge a problem that
FULL TEXT should be rejected for 8.3 on these grounds.  We just tell
people to use the correct query and be done with it.

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"La vida es para el que se aventura"