Re: UDFs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From hubert depesz lubaczewski
Subject Re: UDFs
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 07:22:26PM +0000, jf wrote:
> understood, I appreciate the suggestion. In addition I couldn't find any
> documentation that told me how to install the functions in pgcrypto (do I
> need to CREATE FUNCTION for every function in there?), the README mentions
> a .sql file thats supposed to get you up and going, but the only .sql file
> I found in the directory was an uninstall .sql file, am I expected to grok
> it and do the inverse for every step? et cetera.

1. as for installing contrib - usually when you install psotgresql from
prebuilt binary packages, there is also contrib package. for example on
ubuntu it is postgresql-contrib-8.2, so simple: apt-get install
postgresql-contrib-8.2 will install it.

as for installation in sql - for every contrib module you get sql
script. it is usually called <contrib_module>.sql (pgcrypto.sql).

usually it's in: <PREFIX>/share/postgresql/contrib/pgcrypto.sql

in the database you want to use pgcrypto functions, you simply run this
sql (as superuser), and that's all.

depesz

--
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA.  here's my CV!" :)