Re: pgpool2 vs sequoia - Mailing list pgsql-general

From mljv@planwerk6.de
Subject Re: pgpool2 vs sequoia
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank you guys! But now i am clueless as before. please, enlighten me:

i need about 200 concurrent db connections at peak time and - at the moment -
i only have cheap hardware (2-4 GB Ram, Dual Opteron CPU, SATA Disks, RAID 1)
My database has a size of 11 GigaByte, largest table has 100.000.000 records
All queries are already optimized, i do regular reindex and clusetring of
tables and indizes.

the last few years we ran with horizontal partitioning. i always ran into
problems with horizontal partioning because few tables must be shared across
the databases and sometimes things are moving and i got lot of trouble with
my primary keys being the same on different nodes.

We have only few write operations and almost no write operations at peak time
We have lots of read operations and a peak time with even more read
operations.  We are now using Hibernate/JDBC to connect to the database
(before we used PHP)

At the moment i see the following solutions:
1 synchronous replication: pgpool2 (or sequoia)
2 horizontal partitioning
3 better hardware
4 asynchronous replication: slony

option 1 looks so easy and smart so i decided to go with solution 1. But you
told me not to do so.

option 2 was already used and had lots of problems. And it's not an easy task
to use horizontal partioning with hibernate (it works but it's not
trustworthy IMHO)

option 3 would be nice but my hosting provider has only cheap hardware and as
we have not much experience with enterprise hardware we fear to buy something
really expensive.

So your advice is option 4 and use "Master-Slave Replication" with Slony-I,
right? But i fear slony. i don't know why. (BTW: Is there a PDF version of
slony documentation anywhere? )

Or is pgpool2 still a reasonable solution in my setup? It looks so smart and
so easy to setup.

kind regards,
janning