Re: patch win32.mak of libpq - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: patch win32.mak of libpq
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:30:29PM +0900, Hiroshi Saito wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 02:36:41PM +0900, Hiroshi Saito wrote:
> >>Hi Magnus, and Dave.
> >>
> >>Sorry, I'm a somewhat late reaction... This is the present correspondence.
> >>However, VC6 does not support SSAPI. Therefore, the next release makes
> >>VC6 the outside of an object.
> >
> >I think VC6 should support it Ok. You probably just need to upgrade your
> >Platform SDK to a version that's for Windows 2000 or newer. I think VC6
> >shipws with the NT4 SDK by default. It looks like it' just missing
> >secur32.lib.
>
> Ahh yes. However, MS says.!
> The last SDK that will work with VC 6.0 is the February 2003 Edition.
> http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/
> this SDK is newer and does not support VC6.:-(

Ooh. Wasn't aware of that :-( Now I see what you mean.

Ok. So there are actually two ways to go about it:
1) Discontinue support for MSVC6 and require MSVC8

2) Change it so that MSVC6 can still build libpq, just not with SSPI
support. This can be done by conditionally enabling ENABLE_SSPI, so it's
not that hard.

The question is, if we go with option 2, is it something that anybody
actually will *use*?

If I'm not mistaken, one of the original reasons we kept the win32.mak
method around after we had the "complete msvc build" was for the ODBC
folks. Are you saying that the ODBC guys are now happy with a MSVC8 build?

//Magnus