Re: patch win32.mak of libpq - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Hiroshi Saito
Subject Re: patch win32.mak of libpq
Date
List pgsql-patches
Hi.

From: "Magnus Hagander"

>> >I think VC6 should support it Ok. You probably just need to upgrade your
>> >Platform SDK to a version that's for Windows 2000 or newer. I think VC6
>> >shipws with the NT4 SDK by default. It looks like it' just missing
>> >secur32.lib.
>>
>> Ahh yes. However, MS says.!
>> The last SDK that will work with VC 6.0 is the February 2003 Edition.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/
>> this SDK is newer and does not support VC6.:-(
>
> Ooh. Wasn't aware of that :-( Now I see what you mean.

Yea, It is that there was nothing in public policy....

> Ok. So there are actually two ways to go about it:
> 1) Discontinue support for MSVC6 and require MSVC8
>
> 2) Change it so that MSVC6 can still build libpq, just not with SSPI
> support. This can be done by conditionally enabling ENABLE_SSPI, so it's
> not that hard.
>
> The question is, if we go with option 2, is it something that anybody
> actually will *use*?

I desire 1 as formal. However, It contains VC7.1 and VC8.
Moreover, libpq.dll can be used by the module of VC6.

> If I'm not mistaken, one of the original reasons we kept the win32.mak
> method around after we had the "complete msvc build" was for the ODBC
> folks. Are you saying that the ODBC guys are now happy with a MSVC8 build?

Yes, They are offered as comfortable environment. pgAdmin and that's right.!:-)
However, psqlODBC also contains legacy VC6. They will clear a problem by the
cause libpq.dll wire. Even if it may be adjusted from now on. probably.

Thanks!!

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito