Re: usleep feature for pgbench - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: usleep feature for pgbench
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> > I think I've coded it in a way that if one doesn't use the \usleep
> > command at all, it will never even call gettimeofday() and use a NULL
> > timeout in select() as it used to.
>
> Did you check that the observed performance for non-usleep-using scripts
> didn't change?  If this extra overhead causes a reduction in reported
> TPS rates it would make it hard to compare older and newer tests.

I keep wondering, why is that important?  If you want to compare results
of different PG versions, surely you can run the tests with the newest
version of pgbench?

--
Alvaro Herrera                         http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvherre/
"Those who use electric razors are infidels destined to burn in hell while