Re: New Live CD needed - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Subject Re: New Live CD needed
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hello all,

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 00:34:44 +0200 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> > 2. You to figure out deal with tax issues
> >
> > (2) is difficult; we've found that the EU taxes boxes of CDs we ship,
> > even if we are a non-profit and giving them away for free.  So, you need
> > to figure out how the EU organization can pay the tax or how to avoid
> > it, and whether or not the tax makes shipping CDs from the US completely
> > uneconomical.
>
> Hmm, since i never got anything sent from the US, i don't know, how to
> avoid this taxes. But i understand, that sending 100 or more CDs may
> not count as a giveaway. Anyway, i will start looking into this problem.

Finally, after ~10 days, i got an answer from our customs office:

Everything below 22 Euro is tax-free.

CD-ROMs with computer programs on it (customs data number:
8523 4045 00 0): import sales tax: 19%.
Third country duty rate: free.
Then they sent a short help for calculation:

invoice amount, in Euro, from seller/sender
+    costs (includes postage, shipping, insurance)
=    customs value * duty rate = duty
+    duty
=    import turnover tax value * import turnover tax rate
=    import sales tax

The german description contains words i have never heard of.
Hope, my translation matches more or less. Since in the customs info
office nobody is picking up the phone, i'm not really sure, but "invoice
amount" should match the costs of the CD-ROMs + press + labeling.

For native german speakers here is the original text:
----- cut -----
Rechnungsbetrag umgerechnet in Euro, ab Verkäufer /Versender
+       Kosten   (insbesondere Porto/Fracht/Versicherung)
=       Zollwert * Zollsatz= Zoll
+       Zoll
=       Einfuhrumsatzsteuerwert * Einfuhrumsatzsteuersatz
=       Einfuhrumsatzsteuer

Maybe we need this informations sometimes in the future.

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group