Re: Limitations on 7.0.3? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Limitations on 7.0.3?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 02:40:08PM -0500, ARTEAGA Jose wrote:
> I have been using postgres 7.0.3 (Solaris 2.9) for the past 4 years
> without any major problems, until about a month ago. We are now
> experiencing crashes on the backend (connection lost to backend) while
> running queries (inserts, etc). Anyway I don't want to make this too
> technical but I'd just like to understand if maybe I'm running into some
> sort of limit on the size of the database. My biggest table is currently
> at 1.5B tuples.

I don't believe it's a size limit.  But 7.0 is pre-WAL.  Are you
running with the -F switch turned on, for performance?  It could well
be that you are running into data corruption that crashes the
database.  (The lack of WAL is not the only reason you might be
running into that.  7.0 is a long time ago, and there are a lot of
bugs that have been squished since then.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
However important originality may be in some fields, restraint and
adherence to procedure emerge as the more significant virtues in a
great many others.   --Alain de Botton