Re: upgraded to pgsql 8.2.4, getting worse performance then 7.4.x - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: upgraded to pgsql 8.2.4, getting worse performance then 7.4.x
Date
List pgsql-performance
Douglas J Hunley wrote:

> On a side note, is there any real benefit to using autovacuum over a
> periodically scheduled vacuum? I ask because we have the latter already coded
> up and cron'd and it seems to keep things fairly optimized.

No, not really.  Maybe autovacuum could get to specific highly-updated
tables quickier than the cron job, or slow down when there's no
activity; but your current setup is good enough for you there's no
reason to change.

> BTW, I'm on the list, so there's no need to reply direct. I can get the
> replies from the list

Huh, sorry, this is just the customary way to use these lists.
Personally, I prefer to get several copies of each message and have my
software (procmail) deliver only one to me discarding the duplicates.
That way, if one is lost or takes long to get home, I don't even notice
it (it used to happen a lot on the lists).  Look at the "eliminatecc"
option in the Majordomo user web pages.