Re: Query performance problems with partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: Query performance problems with partitioned tables
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 03:29:30PM +0200, Andreas Haumer wrote:
> This already gives a row matching the given WHERE clause.
> It makes no sense to scan the other tables, as the query
> asks for one row only and all the other tables have timestamps
> larger than all the timestamps in table t_mv_200601 (according
> to the CHECK constraints for the partion tables)

So for each row, it has to check all CHECK constraints to see if it has
enough rows? That sounds fairly inefficient.

I wonder if the planner could copy the limit down through the Append, though
-- it certainly doesn't need more than one row from each partition. It sounds
slightly cumbersome to try to plan such a thing, though...

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/