Re: HOT WIP Patch - version 6.3 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: HOT WIP Patch - version 6.3
Date
List pgsql-patches
Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> On 4/3/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >

> > Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:
> >

> Thanks Bruce. I would like to submit atleast one more revision
> which would include couple of TODOs mentioned in my last mail.
> I would also like to do some cleanup and commenting to make
> review process easier. I hope to do this before the weekend,
> but if someone wants to start reviewing it before, please let me
> know.
>
> Is there something more that I can do to help the review process ?
> I've posted almost all the design ideas as and when I was posting
> patch revisions. Would it help to consolidate them in a single
> document ?

No, I think you have taken it very far already.  I think HOT is similar
to a group of patches we are looking at for 8.3 where the implementation
and side-effects are complicated, and are going to take a while to
resolve.

For HOT, I think the basic idea of using UPDATE chains in a single page
is a clear win, but we have to make sure that assumptions made
subsystems are not broken by this.  CREATE INDEX is only one case.
Before committing it, we have to be sure we have everything covered.

It is also good you have done performance testing, so we are probably OK
in that area.