Re: Additional global stats - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Additional global stats
Date
List pgsql-patches
> > Here's a patch to add some more data to pg_stat_database. Turns out it
> > was a lot easier than I thought - especially after reading Alvaros mail.
> > Luckily I think he was wrong this time ;-)
>
> This seems like the wrong way to go about it.  Why not compute these sums
> on demand by scanning the stats tables, instead of bloating the stats
> collector traffic even more?

Stats traffic should not be affected at all. It just user the same messages already there to increase a couple of
globalcounters per database. The only thing
that increases is that the stats file gets another 5 counters per database. Given how few databases you normally have
comparedto number of tables, I would
think that should be pretty trivial.

Scanning them on demand will require loading the whole stats file into the backend instead of just the current
database,which I considered more bloated..

/Magnus