Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ITAGAKI Takahiro
Subject Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant
Date
Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> I've implemented buffer recycling, as previously described, patch being
> posted now to -patches as "scan_recycle_buffers".
>
> - for VACUUMs of any size, with the objective of reducing WAL thrashing
> whilst keeping VACUUM's behaviour of not spoiling the buffer cache (as
> originally suggested by Itagaki-san, just with a different
> implementation).

I tested your patch with VACUUM FREEZE. The performance was improved when
I set scan_recycle_buffers > 32. I used VACUUM FREEZE to increase WAL traffic,
but this patch should be useful for normal VACUUMs with backgrond jobs!
  N | time  | WAL flush(*)
-----+-------+-----------  0 | 58.7s |  0.01%  1 | 80.3s | 81.76%  8 | 73.4s | 16.73% 16 | 64.2s |  9.24% 32 | 59.0s |
4.88%64 | 56.7s |  2.63%128 | 55.1s |  1.41%

(*) WAL flush is the ratio of the need of fsync to buffer recycle.

# SET scan_recycle_buffers = 0;
# UPDATE accounts SET aid=aid WHERE random() < 0.005;
# CHECKPOINT;
# SET scan_recycle_buffers = <N>;
# VACUUM FREEZE accounts;

BTW, does the patch change the default usage of buffer in vacuum? From what
I've seen, scan_recycle_buffers = 1 is the same as before. With the default
value of scan_recycle_buffers(=0), VACUUM seems to use all of buffers in pool,
just like existing sequential scans. Is this intended?

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center