Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Monday 26 February 2007 19:27, A.M. wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2007, at 18:58 , Simon Riggs wrote:

> Isn't the domain of transient data relegated to certain tables
> instead of specific transactions? Wouldn't it be easier to create un-
> wal-logged global temp tables?

A similar idea we've been kicking around would be having a set storage
parameter = nologging option for alter table which would, as it's name
implies, cause the system to ignore writing wal logs for the table, much like
it does for temp tables now.  One cavaet would be you would probably need to
forbid such a table from being the parent side of a FK relationship, but
otherwise this should be fairly safe even for replay since alter table needs
an exclusive lock, so you have finite points where data for the table would
be written or ignored.

--
Robert Treat