Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> One of the things that's really attractive about the proposed mode is
> that it does *not* create a risk of data corruption

Oh, ok.  That wasn't how I understood Simon's case.

> I agree that we ought to look at some performance numbers before
> accepting the patch, but I think Josh's argument that this opens us
> up to major corruption problems is probably wrong.

OK.  I've seen no performance numbers yet though.  It just seems to me that
any performance patch proposal should start a discussion of what amount of
performance we expect to gain.

Unfortunately, this is *not* a patch I can test on TPCE or SpecJ, because both
of those have ACID requirements which I don't think this would satisfy.  I'd
have to modify the benchmark, and I already have 4 performance patches queue
which don't require that.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun