Re: SCMS question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mark@mark.mielke.cc
Subject Re: SCMS question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:07:01AM +0100, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >Yah know, the one bit of these pitches that always sounds like pure
> >snake oil is the claim that they offer some kind of mechanical solution
> >to merge conflicts.  AFAICS that has nothing to do with the SCMS in use
> >and everything to do with whether your "diff" command is AI-complete.
>
> You should have said "merge" command. Every tried that? Or kdiff3? Try
> it, you will be surprised!

I'll have to try kdiff3 - but the "merge" command, although it often works,
I strongly dislike when it marks up the lines as "there was a conflict here"
and gives you three files in the directory to choose to start from. This is
far too manual, which invites mistakes. If kdiff3 is more like the ClearCase
graphical merge utility, I would far prefer that. Can you say "I want change
2 followed by change 3" with checkboxes, a live final version to view, and
the ability to manually type or adjust lines in the final version to view?

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/