Re: Simple Column reordering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Simple Column reordering
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 02:09:55PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > If you really want an interim solution, what about a builtin function
> > that would explicitly mutate the definition and table contents (if any)
> > along the lines you want? (assuming that's lots less work than just
> > doing the whole thing right to start with). Or even one which just
> > *displayed* the optimal order might be sufficient assistance to DBAs who
> > want to take advantage of this.
>
> I think the only interim solution now is to put functionality into
> PgAdmin et al to optimize the column order.

Well, if it comes to that it would be good to have pgAdmin et all driven
by logic in the database, so that people using psql can benefit as well.
Perhaps a function that is passed an existing table and re-creates it in
optimal order (if it's empty...). Or at least spits out a CREATE TABLE
statement for you that's in optimal order.