Re: change data type int4 to serial - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: change data type int4 to serial
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:20:38 -0600,
  Seb <spluque@gmail.com> wrote:

> Checking the results in pgadmin, this proceeded fine, but now that I want
> to specify the primary and foreign keys in the tables, I see that the
> columns needed for this were imported as int4 data type.  I would like
> these to be automatically sequenced, so need them to be 'serial'.  Going
> into "properties" for these columns in pgadmin, the 'serial' option is not
> available in the "data type" pull-down menu.  Is this not possible?  Can
> the 'serial' data type be specified during import.  Thanks in advance.

'serial' is a psuedo type that uses a DEFAULT that references a SEQUENCE.
In recent versions of postgres a dependency is set up so that you can't
delete the sequence while it is being referenced.

You can create the sequence manually, set an appropiate starting value and
use ALTER TABLE to change the default for the column to use nextval to
get the next sequence value.