Re: Multiple Storage per Tablespace, or Volumes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Multiple Storage per Tablespace, or Volumes
Date
Re: Multiple Storage per Tablespace, or Volumes  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Le lundi 19 février 2007 16:33, Tom Lane a écrit :
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
> > Somehow this seems like implementing RAID within postgres,
>
> RAID and LVM too.  I can't get excited about re-inventing those wheels
> when perfectly good implementations already exist for us to sit on top of.

I though moving some knowledge about data availability into PostgreSQL code
could provide some valuable performance benefit, allowing to organize reads
(for example parallel tables scan/indexes scan to different volumes) and
obtaining data from 'quicker' known volume (or least used/charged).

You're both saying RAID/LVM implementations provide good enough performances
for PG not having to go this way, if I understand correctly.
And distributed file systems are enough to have the replication stuff, without
PG having to deal explicitly with the work involved.

May be I should have slept after all ;)

Thanks for your time and comments, regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine