Re: WIP patch - INSERT-able log statements - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: WIP patch - INSERT-able log statements
Date
List pgsql-patches
Guillaume Smet escribió:
> On 2/19/07, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> >log_destination = 'stderr,sql'     # Valid values are combinations of
> >                     # stderr, syslog, sql, and eventlog,
> >                     # depending on platform.
>
> +1

Please don't do that.  We already have a "combined GUC option" that is
used to change two different things (DateStyle) and I regularly see
people confused about how to use it.

Also, "sql" is not really a destination -- it is a format.  Maybe have a
"format=plain,sql" GUC var is best: plain format is logged as currently,
and SQL format is logged somewhere else (maybe use the same name, and
stash a .sql suffix to the filename, or use .sql.log).  That way you can
choose to have one or the other, or both if you're really dumb.