Re: postgresql 8.2 Installation error at "gmake" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: postgresql 8.2 Installation error at "gmake"
Date
Re: postgresql 8.2 Installation error at "gmake"  (Emi Lu <emilu@encs.concordia.ca>)
List pgsql-general
Emi Lu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >>Tried to install 8.2, configuration passed, but when running "gmake",
> >>got the following error, any clues?
> >
> >Please provide more details -- what operating system is this?
>
> i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.3.2
>

> >>Step1
> >>========
> >>./configure --prefix=/local/postgresql --datadir=/postgreSQL_data
> >>--without-docdir --without-readline --disable-spinlocks --without-zlib
> >
> >Please note that --datadir does not do what you seem to think.  Remove
> >it, because it's going to cause other problems further on.  Also, if you
> >need --disable-spinlocks, your installation is not going to perform very
> >well; did you try without that?
>
> I am not super user for this Linux OS! I can only access my directories.
>
> Specified --datadir=/postgreSQL_data
> because my previous version 8.0.0 DATA was there (which is not used anymore)

You're confusing the "datadir" as understood by configure with the
PGDATA dir that's created by initdb.  Don't.  Leave the --datadir option
out.

> I do not care the spinlocks for now.

Configure will work anyway without the --disable-spinlock; you're
wasting your time with that option.

Anyway, please note that your linker problem does not seem to be related
to any of these options.

Do you happen to have a previous installation at /local/postgresql?  I
think the presence of an older libpgport.a there could be causing the
confusion.