Re: Proposed adjustments in MaxTupleSize andtoastthresholds - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ITAGAKI Takahiro
Subject Re: Proposed adjustments in MaxTupleSize andtoastthresholds
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > Actually, given what we've just learned --- namely that choosing these
> > values at random is a bad idea --- I'd want to see a whole lot of
> > positive evidence before adding such a configuration knob.
>
> 3. assemble performance evidence
>
> Step 3 is always there for performance work, so even if you don't
> mention it, I'll assume everybody wants to see that as soon as possible
> before we progress.

There was a performance evidence using TOAST in order to partial updates.
It added a flag of force toasting. The toast threshold suggested now is
more flexible than it, but I think it is one of the evidences.
 Vertical Partitioning with TOAST http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-12/msg00013.php

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro