Re: SGML index build fix - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: SGML index build fix
Date
List pgsql-patches
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The attached patch warns users when they create documentation output
> > that has no index, and suggests re-running 'gmake'.
>
> > ! # for some reason $wildcard expands too early, so we use 'test'
>
> $wildcard is expanded whenever you tell it to.  What did you write?

I wrote:

    ifeq (,$(wildcard bookindex.valid))
        echo "Run 'gmake' again to generate output with a proper index"
    endif

but that warns on the first _two_ runs, meaning it expanded at the time
the rule started, not at the time it hit that line.

> > !     @test -f bookindex.valid || echo "Run 'gmake' again to generate output with a proper index"
>
> The proper command to run is $(MAKE).

OK, updated.

> > !
>
> There is a redundant tab on that line.

OK, removed.

"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd">'\
> >         >$@
> >   # ' hello Emacs
> > +     @test -f bookindex.valid || echo "Run 'gmake' again to generate output with a proper index"
>
> When converting to XML, you probably don't want an index because it will
> be built differently by the XSLT toolchain.  It's not clear what we want
> anyway.

OK, removed.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us