permission in the db or in the application? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sandro Dentella
Subject permission in the db or in the application?
Date
Re: permission in the db or in the application?  ("Marco Bizzarri" <marco.bizzarri@gmail.com>)
Re: permission in the db or in the application?  ("BigSmoke" <bigsmoke@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

  I'm starting a project in which I will use PostgreSQL in which I need to
  check permissions at different levels (eg.: status of a record, hierarchy
  and so on). The application needs to run with a web interface (sigh!).

  At first I thought i'd like to put as much permission logic as possible in
  the database, and I was willing to evaluate veil for that.

  The reasons where mainly two:

  1. to be sure that those permission where observed independently from the
     way I was accessing the data. No way to create security 'holes'

  2. simplicity in the code

  Some days ago I read an e-mail of somebody that strongly opposed to using
  a db other than for ACID features.

  I'd like to hear from this list some thoughts on this subjects.

  thanks
  sandro
  *:-)

--