Re: a question on SQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: a question on SQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
> >> It's the single most useful non-standard SQL feature postgresql has. It
> >> is thus simultaneously bad (from a portatbility aspect) and brilliant
> >> (because it's a million times easier and faster than the alternatives).
>
> > You mean second-most useful. LIMIT/OFFSET is the champion, hand down. :)
>
> Yeah, but that one's only quasi-non-standard ... several other DBMSes
> have it too.

I know MySQL has it, and SQL Lite added it.  Which other ones?  Someone
asked me recently.  I see this chart from Perl documentation:

    http://search.cpan.org/~davebaird/SQL-Abstract-Limit-0.12/lib/SQL/Abstract/Limit.pm#DESCRIPTION

Oh, and Rasmus Lerdorf told me he invented LIMIT for mSQL, and MySQL
then added it, and that MySQL added the limit option.

This was interesting in the MySQL manuals:

    For compatibility with PostgreSQL, MySQL also supports the LIMIT
    row_count OFFSET offset syntax.

Did we add the OFFSET _keyword_.  I remember we had the comma-ed numbers
backwards, and we had OFFSET, but I thought that keyword came from
MySQL.  Obviously, they don't think so.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us