Re: MySQL drops support for most distributions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory S. Williamson
Subject Re: MySQL drops support for most distributions
Date
List pgsql-general
FWIW, there is a follow-up note on the original posting from a MySQL person:

"we are just starting to roll out [Enterprise] binaries... We don't build binaries for Debian in part because the
Debiancommunity does a good job themselves... If you call MySQL and you have support we support you if you are running
Debian(the same with Suse, RHEL, Fedora, Ubuntu and others)... someone in Sales was left with the wrong information"

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC

-----Original Message-----
From:    pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org on behalf of Scott Marlowe
Sent:    Wed 12/13/2006 10:11 AM
To:    Alvaro Herrera
Cc:    David Goodenough; pgsql general
Subject:    Re: [GENERAL] MySQL drops support for most distributions

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 12:01, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 10:50, David Goodenough wrote:
> > > http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/13/1515217&from=rss
> > >
> > > "MySQL quietly deprecated support for most Linux distributions on October 16,
> > > when its 'MySQL Network' support plan was replaced by 'MySQL Enterprise.'
> > > MySQL now supports only two Linux distributions — Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> > > and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server. We learned of this when MySQL declined to
> > > sell us support for some new Debian-based servers. Our sales rep 'found out
> > > from engineering that the current Enterprise offering is no longer supported
> > > on Debian OS.' We were told that 'Generic Linux' in MySQL's list of supported
> > > platforms means 'generic versions of the implementations listed above'; not
> > > support for Linux in general."
> >
> > So, in a similar vein, which PostgreSQL support companies support
> > Debian, for instance?
>
> I bet Credativ does.
>
> The good thing is that there are several companies supporting Postgres,
> so whatever one of them does it does not affect the market as a whole.

I was kinda thinking the same thing.  Man, must suck to be tied to the
one true company for your database when they stop supporting your OS
etc...

And what about MySQL windows flavor?

Click link below if it is SPAM gsw@globexplorer.com

"https://mailscanner.globexplorer.com/dspam/dspam.cgi?signatureID=458041d0161931045513543&user=gsw@globexplorer.com&retrain=spam&template=history&history_page=1"