"Copy from" omit source columns? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Steve Midgley
Subject "Copy from" omit source columns?
Date
Re: "Copy from" omit source columns?
List pgsql-sql
Hello,

(I already fear the answer to my question is "no..") :)

I am using the 'COPY FROM' SQL command (not psql \copy) to move data
into a table from a CSV file. The source data are suitable for import
EXCEPT there are extraneous columns of data in the source file. In
essence, my table schema is:

id, col1, col2, col4

My source file schema is:

col1,col2,col3,col4

I'm curious if there is any way to tell "COPY" to ignore the third
column of data? Basically I'd like to write something along the lines
of:

copy import (col1,col2,\n,col4)
from 'c:/dev/import/source/test.csv'
with CSV HEADER

Note "\n" would indicate there there is a column in the source that
should simply be ignored during the import. Of course, I tried this
syntax and it didn't work. Perhaps there is another way of indicating
that there is a "null column" in the source file that should be skipped
during import?

Any assistance in solving this problem (without having to change the
source file) would be greatly appreciated. If I have to change the
source file, I will, but it would greatly simplify things if I didn't
have to..

Best regards and thanks for any ideas,

Steve