Re: PG_MODULE_MAGIC check in 8.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: PG_MODULE_MAGIC check in 8.2
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 04:29:05PM -0800, Shelby Cain wrote:
> You are assuming I have the source for the library and although I've
> asked nicely via email Microsoft hasn't responded to my requests for
> the source code to kernel32.dll.  ;)

I see, you're doing something rather unsupported...

> Regardless, even if I had the source, adding PG_MODULE_MAGIC to an
> arbitrary dll that has no need to know anything about the internals
> of Postgresql comes at a cost of much more than a one line to the
> source.  It requires having all the random bits of developer
> headers/libraries/etc from Postgresql which has been been properly
> set up to work with my particular compiler environment.  In this
> case, my initial attempts to wrap the functions in a shared library
> that I can control using the headers supplied with the beta3
> installer have met with little success under cygwin using -mno-cygwin
> (which, in theory, should invoke mingw) and MSVC due to strange
> desires to include things like strings.h, libintl.h and various other
> files that don't exist.

I can't remember exactly, but if you search the source for the error
message you'll find the code.

That said, do you have to specify the library kernel32? If you use
language "internal", doesn't that find it since it's already loaded?
Then you don't need any module magic at all...

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment