Re: PG_MODULE_MAGIC check in 8.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PG_MODULE_MAGIC check in 8.2
Date
List pgsql-general
> That said, do you have to specify the library kernel32? If you use
> language "internal", doesn't that find it since it's already loaded?

This has come up before:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-06/msg00721.php

That particular thread died off when we realized that the complained-of
usage never worked anyway.  But we didn't thoroughly discuss the
question of whether there are any significant cases where it makes sense
to be able to LOAD a file that contains no PG-specific code whatsoever.
I'm inclined to think not --- at least, not significant enough that we
should destroy the usefulness of the magic-block check to let this work.
It could be debated though.  Does anyone have any more-compelling
examples?

            regards, tom lane