Re: can't start postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igor Shevchenko
Subject Re: can't start postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:26:02 +0200, Igor Shevchenko wrote:
> >> I'd think starting a standalone backend and issuing a "reindex database"
> >> should be enough to get him started.  Now, the problem is figuring _how_
> >> the index got in that state; or even _what_ index is the problematic
> >> one.  (I think it would be possible to find out by setting the
> >> "log_error_verbosity" parameter to "verbose").
> >
> > The problem is, it won't start even in the standalone mode. It prints the
> > same error message and dies. I was trying to start it connected to my
> > main db, template0, template1 and postgres, no change. The index
> > corruption (assuming this IS an index corruption) must've happened with
> > system table(s). Is there any way to diagose that ? Maybe reindex a
> > specific table without starting postmaster, or remove certain index files
> > physically (e.g. for pg_class, etc) ?
>
> I think you want to use -P to ignore the indexes on startup:
>
> postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -P my_database
>
> Does that help - then you might get the chance to do a REINDEX?

Thanks for the pointer!

I thought it would help, but to my surprise, it didn't. Im still seeing this :

[postgres@db ~]$ /backup/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /backup/pgsql/data -P template1
PANIC:  failed to re-find parent key in "23724"
Aborted

--
Best Regards,
Igor Shevchenko