Re: reproducing this issue on PG 8.0.0 ERROR: index "patient_pkey" is not a btree - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: reproducing this issue on PG 8.0.0 ERROR: index "patient_pkey" is not a btree
Date
List pgsql-general
surabhi.ahuja wrote:
>  hi
> I am using Postgres 8.0.0 and we found this issue "ERROR:  index
> "patient_pkey" is not a btree" I have been informed that we should
> shift to Postgres 8.0.9
>
> I discussed this with my team member and they are asking if we can
> upgrade to the latest Postgres version i.e. 8.1.5

The difference is that updating to 8.0.9 would be dead simple (just
upgrade the binaries), but upgrading to 8.1.5 is more difficult because
it requires you to dump and restore the database, and there may be minor
incompatibilities for your apps.  So an idea might be to have a
medium-term plan to migrate to a new major series (say 8.1 or 8.2), and
a very short term plan to migrate to 8.0.9.

> I have some questions regarding this:
> 1.will this vesion solve the problem that I have mentioned?

If it is solved by 8.0.9 then it will be solved by 8.1.5 as well.  It
may be something independent of Postgres, for example hardware failure,
in which case it probably won't be solved by either.