Re: Build of postgresql 8.2 beta 2 failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Build of postgresql 8.2 beta 2 failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Carl Norden wrote:
> I know you're collecting results for beta testing, so I thought I'd pass on the error I ran into.  This may have
failedjust because I'm running an old version of RedHat (7.1)

> When I tried to build postgresql 8.2 beta 2, the compile failed with these errors:
>
> gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing  -fpic -shared
-Wl,-soname,libpq.so.5-Wl,--version-script=exports.list  fe-auth.o fe-connect.o fe-exec.o fe-misc.o fe-print.o
fe-lobj.ofe-protocol2.o fe-protocol3.o pqexpbuffer.o pqsignal.o fe-secure.o md5.o ip.o wchar.o encnames.o noblock.o
pgstrcasecmp.othread.o strlcpy.o  -L../../../src/port -lcrypt
-Wl,-rpath,'/usr/local/sw/postgresql/postgresql-8.2b2/lib'-o libpq.so.5.0

> /usr/bin/ld:exports.list:1: parse error in VERSION script
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [libpq.so.5.0] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/src/postgresql-8.2beta2/src/interfaces/libpq'

I'd say you'd need a newer version of GNU binutils ... but really I'd
suggest upgrading to a newer version of RedHat.

> $ ld --version
> GNU ld 2.10.91

According to the Debian changelog, 2.10.91 was released in February
2001.

Or maybe the problem is in the VERSION script, which may have been
wrongly generated by an old version of another tool.  Mine starts with

{ global:
PQconnectdb;
PQsetdbLogin;
PQconndefaults;