Re: Restart after poweroutage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Restart after poweroutage
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 10:11:00AM -0300, Jon Lapham wrote:
> I recently had another electrical power outage that left my machine
> unable to restart postgresql.  I had previously reported this a while ago:

FWIW, I've crashed my machine a lot of times and never run into this
problem. However, I run Debian, maybe they do something different.

> Looking at $PGLOG, I discovered:
> FATAL:  pre-existing shared memory block (key 5432001, ID 65536) is
> still in use
> HINT:  If you're sure there are no old server processes still running,
> remove the shared memory block with the command "ipcclean", "ipcrm", or
> just delete the file "postmaster.pid".

This doesn't make sense to me. A reboot will absolutly kill any
existing shared memory blocks, how can it possibly be complaining about
it?

What does ipcs show after the failure to start postgres?

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment