Re: Restart after poweroutage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Restart after poweroutage
Date
List pgsql-general
> This doesn't make sense to me. A reboot will absolutly kill any
> existing shared memory blocks, how can it possibly be complaining about
> it?

PostgreSQL complains if it finds a postmaster.pid. As far as I can tell
it doesn't have anything to do with shared memory except that we are
tracking info in the postmaster.pid. Info that is no longer valid.

What would make sense to me, would be to read the pid file, check the
process list. If the process that is in the pid file is not in the
process list, we remove the pid file and start.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake